total of 500 fully refurbished computers (plus 30 contingency
CPU & monitors) and a total of 98 printers, were donated
by Weyerhaeuser Company (Colonvade S.A. and Los Piques S.A.)
to schools of public education located in the company operating
areas of Rivera, Tacuarembó and Paysandú.
Over 100 schools, both rural and
urban (Primaria, Secundaria, UTU and Instituto de Formación
Docente) and more than 32,700 children / students will benefit
from this donation.
Uruguay´s President, Dr. Jorge
Batlle attended the presentation at Edificio Libertad, along
with U.S. Ambassador Martin J. Silverstein, Education Minister
Leonardo Guzmán, Codicen Director Javier Bonilla,
the Vicepresident of Weyerhauser Forestlands International
Stephen Michael Hee, and Ralph Scmidt-Liermann, marketing
director of Colonvale S.A.
The schools have been selected by
Colonvade S.A. staff in close coordination with education
authorities, under the following criteria:
- Located within the company's operating areas in all 3
- Existing electric power supply
- Existing infrastructure for adequate educational use
- Sufficient security to prevent theft or damage
- 500 Dell / Compaq computers (additional contingency of
30 CPU & monitors)
- Software: Microsoft Windows XP, Office 2003, Encarta 2004
- CPU: Intel Pentium 3 (500 to 1200 MHz).
- RAM: Minimum 128 Mb.
- Color Monitors: Dell / Compaq / Viewsonic (15" /
17" / 19")
- Keyboards, mouse, cabling
- Printers: Hewlett Packard 1300 Laserjet
- Power converters: 110V to 220V.
- Weyerhaeuser Co. (computers, US-coordination, documentation)
- Colonvade S.A. - Los Piques S.A. (UY-coordination, documentation,
- Microsoft Corp. (software & licences)
- EDS (technical assistance & quality control)
- Dell Inc. (additional Hardware, monitors, keyboards, etc.)
- Hewlett Packard (98 1300 Laserjet printers)
- Office Depot (Ink cartridges)
- P&O Nedlloyd (Seattle-Montevideo transport)
- All additional costs are being picked up by either Weyerhaeuser
or Colonvade-Los Piques.
- Some 200 Weyerhaeuser and Colonvade employees have donated
their time in support of the project for activities ranging
from packing / unpacking, complete refurbishing, quality
control, distribution of computers.
President Batlle is greeted by schoolchildren
while accompanied by U.S. Ambassador Silverstein and
Weyerhaeuser's vicepresident Stephen Michael Hee
L to R: Codicen Director
Javier Bonilla, Education Minister Leonardo Guzman,
President Jorge Batlle, Weyerhaeuser vicepresident Stephen
Michael Hee, U.S. Ambassador
Martin Silverstein, and
Colonvade's marketing director Ralph Schmidt-Liermann.
Schoolchidren gather around Colonvade's marketing director Ralph
Schmidt-Liermann to see first hand one of the donated computers
Dignitaries enjoying the schoolchidren's
President Batlle and Mr Hee showing
off their new t-shirts
A "check" displaying the
logos of participating companies and organizations
Students representing schools from
Tacuarembo, Paysandu and Rivera
The schoolchildren's choir performing
to everyone's delight